Due to the Chetco Bar Fire and under authority of Brookings Municipal Code 13.05.250, Brookings City Council has authorized the City Manager and Fire Chief to implement Grade 4 Severe Water Restrictions for the City and all water customers effective immediately.
City Council has at its disposal four levels of water curtailment restrictions, including Grade 1 Voluntary Curtailment, Grade 2 Limited Water Restrictions, Grade 3 Moderate Water Restrictions, and Grade 4 Severe Water Restrictions.
Because the Chetco Bar Fire continues to threaten the City of Brookings and adjacent areas, the City has seen it prudent to make preparations for supporting firefighters who are working to protect life and property. An adequate water supply is essential to supporting an effective firefighting effort.
Declaring Grade 4 Severe Water Restrictions allows the City Manager to set maximum daily allotments of water per resident and restricts and/or prohibits the following activities:
- Watering, sprinkling or irrigating lawn, grass, turf, flowers, plants, shrubbery, groundcover, crops, vegetation, or trees
- Washing, wetting down, or sweeping with water, sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, open ground, or other hard surface
- Washing trucks, cars, trailers, tractors, or other land vehicles or boats or other water-borne vehicles, except by commercial establishments or fleet washing facilities which recycle or reuse the water in their washing processes, or by bucket and hose with shut-off mechanisms
- Cleaning, filling or maintaining decorative water features, natural or manmade, including but not limited to: fountains, lakes, ponds, and streams, unless the water is recirculated through the decorative water feature
- Wasting water by leaving unattended hoses running
- Supplying water for above or in-ground swimming pools
- Power washing of buildings, regardless of purpose
- Restaurants are to only serve water upon customer request. Other restrictions may be imposed by the Fire Chief.
Violations of this order will result in a written warning. Subsequent violations will be treated as a civil violation pursuant to Brookings Municipal Code 13.05.270 and punishable by fine up to $720.00 per occurrence.
The water curtailment will remain in effect until further notice.